Established by Mario Mazzetti and Alfonso Morini in 1924, MM had an illustrious yet relatively short lived career. Throughout the 20s & 30s both their 125 and 175cc won numerous races along with their road versions being commercially successful. In 1939 they introduced a 350cc sidevalve machine which not only won major Italian endurance races but was assigned as the official motorcycle of the Bologna police force – which it remained until 1960.
The war period was not kind to MM: Mussolini exacted revenge on his vocal opposers at MM by forcing them to cease motorcycle production in favour of producing aeroplane parts. When their factory was destroyed by allied bombs in 1943 you would have assumed this would have broken their spirit and future. Alas not. They rose out of the war with a super fast 250 OHC model which sported rear suspension and Italy’s first example of telescopic front forks. This bike was as fast as the 500cc Gilera Saturno. Gradually swingarm suspension with hydraulic dampers, a twin-loop cradle frame and a dual seat were added. But within a couple of years this kind of machine was out of market favour and MM just couldn’t keep up. It closed its doors in 1957.